The following positions are currently open at Woodwell Climate Research Center:
Woodwell Climate Research Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or because he or she is a protected veteran.
Information Systems/HRIS Technical Manager
Summary: The Information Systems/HRIS Technical Manager is a key member of the Management Information Services team. The position provides HRIS system implementation and support, desktop technology, telephony, AV, and various other device support for all staff and students conducting science, research, or business activities within the Center. The IS Support Analyst is primarily responsible for the HRIS System, acting as back-up for all center information systems support, resolving IT support requests largely pertaining to but not limited to desktop computing and Help Desk activities. In addition, the position will represent desktop and end user computing in IT projects at the Center.
- Working with the Director of Information Systems and the HR Manager assist with implement the HRIS system and manage technical issues with the HRIS system.
- Diagnose and resolve software and hardware requests and incidents involving several computing platforms including Windows, Mac and Linux, and across a broad range of software applications.
- Assist all users with IS related incidents when called upon and to take ownership of issues by carrying out problem analysis to implement temporary or permanent fixes with the aim of restoring service to the customer as soon as possible.
- Install and configure IS equipment including computers, printers, phones and scanners and upgrade different types of software and hardware.
- Assist all users with network file shares, cloud services and inquiries regarding AV equipment and software.
- Maintain a first-class level of customer service ensuring that all staff, visitors and interns are treated well and efficiently.
- Identify and suggest possible improvements on procedures and documentation.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or related field.
- HRIS experience, including new system implementation.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics.
- Technical/Vocational diplomas/certifications may be considered based on technical experience and skill level.
- 4+ years of Information Technology experience
- Technical certifications (MSCE or similar) preferred.
- Experience and broad knowledge of Microsoft technologies (Windows Desktops, server and Active Directory). In depth knowledge of Windows Registry a plus.
- Experience and broad knowledge of Apple system platform technology.
- Knowledge of malware/antivirus application configuration and management.
- Knowledge of IT network infrastructure components and the various related technologies, such as switches, routers, TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, wireless.
- Knowledge of AV technology, server virtualization (VMWare and Azure), Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) a plus.
- Knowledge of VOIP telephony services.
- Proficient with the latest hardware platforms including multiprocessor and multi-monitor setups; disk imaging; data recovery.
- Proficient with mobile platforms technologies such as, iPhone, iPad, Android, Surface.
- Outstanding customer service skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in within Woodwell Climate.
- Able to lift up to 25lbs. independently, up to 5 times per day.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2020 or until filled
Desired Start Date: October 19, 2020
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Woodwell Climate offers a competitive salary as well as a very generous benefits package.
Application Instructions: To apply, please email PDF files of your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please type HD ISM 20 in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Postdoctoral Researcher – Soil Monitoring
SUMMARY: We seek a postdoctoral researcher to collaborate on a new project focused on building a global soil spectroscopy network and estimation service. The use of diffuse reflectance spectroscopy for rapid and low-cost provision of soil data is rising throughout the world. Working with multiple global partners, this project will create a network for coordinating these different efforts with a goal of building and deploying an open-source web-based soil spectral estimation service. We will tackle many of the outstanding technical challenges needed to harmonize soil data and spectral databases and develop multiple use cases demonstrating the utility of expanded soil data for applications ranging from sustainable land management to climate change.
- Network coordinator – you will be the primary point of contact for all network members and facilitate working group meetings
- Design and execute experiments to optimize various aspects of soil spectral predictions
- Stay current on soil spectroscopy and chemometric literature
- Maintain website and communicate effectively with interested stakeholders
- Publish and present findings at national and international meetings
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. (granted or expected soon) in soil science, earth system science, environmental data science, chemistry, computer sciences, mathematics, or related disciple.
- Working knowledge of spectroscopy – soil applications highly preferred – or pedometrics
- Demonstrated multivariate or machine learning data analysis skills and familiarity with open source ML libraries.
- Ability to implement and modify complex code and learn new programming skills as needed.
- Strong data management skills including familiarity with metadata standards and relational database structures.
- Experience facilitating group meetings, public speaking and networking.
Application Deadline: September 1, 2020, or until filled
Desired Start Date: October 1, 2020
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Contingent upon funding, this is a 2.5-year appointment with the potential to extend. Woodwell Climate offers a very generous benefits package.
Location: Falmouth, Massachusetts preferred, remote possible
Application Instructions: To apply, please send your cover letter addressing your experience and qualifications in relation to the responsibilities of this position, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please type JSPD20 in the subject line.
For specific questions about the position please contact Dr. Jonathan Sanderman at email@example.com.